Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Road Trip – Days 18 & 19 (April 2 & 3)

We are all enjoying some downtime. It has been a time for repairs and maintenance, reading and contemplation of the navel.

5 very dusty & dirty cars have now been washed of their coatings of dirt.Over the last 2 days we have found our water tank under the caravan had a crack in it which explained why we had no water at Streaky Bay. (We bought large bottles of water to get by). Alan had a water pressure problem in his caravan, other minor repairs were done and some people discovered they had a flat battery in their vans that works with their brakes.

We also discovered that road laws in South Australia are different to those of Western Australia. In South Australia, the shackles we use to attach the chains from the van to the car must be stamped with a weight tolerance number. The men fueled up at the local roadhouse and one person got the required shackles. The Roadhouse had sold out and hopefully the new ones will arrive before we leave. If we don’t get these shackles we may cope a fine and receive two demerit points on our drivers licences.

Elliston is a medium sized rural town that is the centre for wheat growing in the region. It is on the water which is hard to reach in places due to unstable cliffs. Shops are very few but sell the essentials, eg the General Store, the Bakery, the Pharmacy, the Hardware/camping store and a Cafe..Oh and I forgot the Elliston Hotel.

We have met Ken & Daphne from Mandurah who are camped next to us. Ken has a TV Antenna problem that has kept the boys of the group occupied for the last 3 days. Here John, Ken and Alan are with the antenna.

20120403_2web

We woke this morning to fog around the caravan park.

20120403_9web

I have learnt to put my glasses on when buying things. At the information centre I thought I was buying home made Apricot Jam. This morning I cooked my toast and prepared to spread my apricot jam on the toast – but wait – I had purchased Tomato Chutney!!!. So I took my glasses off to the Information Centre again and with glasses set firmly in place, chose the Apricot Jam jar and handed over my money.

We have tuned our TV in and we can get three channels, so I am off to enjoy my first TV program in over 2 weeks.

No comments: