Sunday, March 16, 2014

Baking Frenzy

To day I woke to a feeling that I must bake. Why do you ask? Well its one way to empty the pantry. I made 2 Strawberry fruitcakes which I have frozen.  When you freeze strawberries and later defrost them you get mushy strawberries and a lot of liquid. Here is the recipe – no added sugar.

about 400 grams frozen strawberries, or mango

375 grams mixed fruit

1 teaspoon bi-carb soda

Put in a saucepan and heat up. Stir. When the liquid is boiling turn off & let cool. Then add 1 cup self rising flour, and 1 egg. Mix in then put into a cake tin. I use a loaf tin and in a moderate oven. I cook it for 30 minutes.

I found my old 1970’s Women’s Weekly Biscuit Cookbook ( it cost me $4.95) and made 3 different batches of biscuits. I have sealed them into plastic bags used my vacummn pack sealing machine. I am hoping this will keep them longer.

We think we have isolated THE leak – it seems to be a problem with my window. Fingers crossed our Mr Fix-it man has a solution on Monday.

No comments: