Friday, April 18, 2014

Around town…………… Day 26

Good Friday 2014.

Today  was windy and saw us choosing to drive around town. Our first stop was the old red railway bridge just out of town. I took this photo of part of the bridge. Can you see a face inside the iron circle?

_MG_0005web

……..and here is the actual bridge. The town was connected by rail to Peterborough and Quorn by rail in September 1881, and was served by a Class 1 station and a large Goods Shed. During 1962, concrete grain silos were built in the Yard. The Railway station is now a private residence.

_MG_0008web

When we reached the football field we found out where all our Sulfur Crested Cockatoos spend part of their day. Tonight there was a lot of discussion as to whether the cockies were going to roost on the same trees or move to other trees. This discussion continues until 6.09pm when they finally came overhead on their way to “their” trees.

_MG_0015web

We were just driving around the extremely wide streets when I saw a beautiful old house I wanted to photograph. I got out of the car and walked over to the house, to find the owner sitting outside on the verandah. She told me her daughter lives in Applecross, a suburb of Perth and she has visited Perth. This is her beautiful old house.

_MG_0029web

After lunch we decided to drive to Carrieton about 30 kms away to have a look.

Carrieton, is situated north of Orroroo and is the home of the Carrieton Rodeo, a highlight event on the Australian rodeo circuit. The size and success of this event belies the fact that the town consists of only a few dozen residents. So far this is as close to a rodeo I have been during my life and it looks like I will have to wait for this experience.

_MG_0062web

_MG_0073web

I was taking a photo of an old building in one of the streets and had a look through a window to see this beautiful black marble fireplace surround.

_MG_0052web

Of course I can’t help myself when I see a man in a ute with three dogs in the back. He pulls up, and takes off again almost immediately. No opportunity to discover their names.

_MG_0059web

On our way back to Orroroo, we stopped at Eurealia, formerly a town of over 100 people with a railway station and goods sheds, but now almost a ghost town. The old town Hall remains, along with the railway goods shed.

_MG_0085web

No comments: